1. Science and Suffering Topic: Epilogue
- the concept of transcendent causes, causes so
worthwhile that they supercede (transcend) the value of individual
happiness. War, in which nations understand that hardship is necessary for the
needs of the many, is
2. Divine Action Topic: Drees, Willem B. Evolutionary Naturalism and Reli...
as a whole is dependent on a transcendent
Creator as consistent with, though not required by, naturalism. What Drees
rejects is a view of God as altering the laws of nature or as acting within the
contingencies of nature since, again, nature is
3. Evolution Topic: What is the problem with Intelligent Design?
the intervention of a transcendent designer. Punctuated into the process of
gradual change are leaps in complexity caused by a supernatural intelligence.
Intelligent interventions into nature are virtual miracles, not subject
4. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Peacockes View of Divine Action
which God - as a transcendent , immaterial world cause - interacts particularly
with causative factors in the material world?
Arthur Peacocke wants to use the analogy of
God as mind, world as body, but with a very proper caution -
5. Intelligent Design Topic: Cards on the Table
points beyond itself to a transcendent reality, and that that reality is simultaneously reflected in a different idiom by the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments.
So far I'm not saying anything different from standard complementarianism,
6. Physics Topic: The Theology of Creation
of all beings on a transcendent
God as the sole source of their existence. God's creative act
is totally free; matter, space, time and even the laws of nature
emerge out of God's unconditional choice. In this sense, `creation
7. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Neo-Thomist Views of Divine Action
at which God - as a transcendent , immaterial world cause
- interacts particularly with causative factors in the material world?
Neo-Thomists speak of
double agency, a concept developed by Aquinas and rearticulated in
8. Intelligent Design Topic: The Question of Motives
by denying any appeal to the transcendent norms of God's moral law." In a forthcoming response to an article of mine in American Outlook (November 2000), Michael Shermer takes an identical line: "It is no coincidence that almost all of the
9. Technology Topic: What Might Theologians Think About Nano Ethics?
ethical deliberations with a transcendent
ground for value, God. What is good for us is the vision of well being God has
in store for us. To manifest that vision of well being, Jesus gave us a double
commandment: love God and love your neighbor.
10. Neuroscience Topic: The Person in Greek Thought
physical world, there is the transcendent realm
of the Forms or Ideas, which is perfect and eternal. According
to Plato, the soul's true home is in the realm of the Forms.
Plato's philosophy had a significant impact on the development