Displaying results 1 - 10 of 11 matches (0.01 seconds)
1. Stem Cell Topic: Question: What is the Embryonic Status of Totipotent and Pl...
the embryonic staircase? Totipotent
stem cells are capable of producing all tissue, including the trophoblast
necessary for implantation. Totipotent stem cells have the potential of
becoming embryos. Pluripotent stem cells have every
2. Stem Cell Topic: Stem Cells: What Are They?
Stem Cells : What Are They?
types of stem cells exist in the human body. All have the capacity to replicate,
to self-renew; and they have the capacity to differentiate in order to produce
specific body parts such as muscle cells,
3. Stem Cell Topic: The Moral Status of Human Stem Cells
putting this is to say that
stem cells are pluripotent rather than totipotent . It is true that advanced
technology might be able to render these cells effectively (if not actually)
totipotent. Research undertaken in Canada in 1993 involving the
4. General Term: Totipotent Stem Cells
Totipotent Stem Cells Stem cells which are capable of forming every type of body cell. Each
totipotent cell could replicate and differentiate and become a human being. All
cells within the early embryo are totipotent up until the
5. Stem Cell Topic: Human Embryonic Stem Cells
Human Embryonic Stem Cells
The study of human stem cells
has barely begun and what is known is summarized in this section. The vast majority of experimental data
discussed here are the results of experiments in mice. ES cells from
6. Stem Cell Topic: Current Status of Human Stem Cell Research
can contribute. Totipotent stem cells are cells that can
give rise to a fully functional organism as well as to every cell type of the
stem cells are capable of giving rise to virtually any tissue type, but not
7. Stem Cell Topic: Question: Why is "Derivation" Important?
funding to support stem cell
research wish to avoid the problems associated with restrictions on embryo
research; so they exempt stem cells through definition. If stem cells are
pluripotent and not totipotent , then they escape
8. Stem Cell Topic: Ethics Influencing Science?
this the case? Is it because totipotent cells have a genetic
potential lacking in pluripotent cells? No. What distinguishes them is that
totipotent cells have access to a placenta making them available for
implantation; whereas pluripotent stem
9. Stem Cell Topic: Question: is There a Potential Baby in Every Body Cell?
the source for pluripotent
we would experience a shift in ethical ground tantamount to an earthquake.
Initially and naively, we could breathe a sigh of relief. If laboratory
scientists are no longer tempted to harvest stem cells
10. Stem Cell Topic: Question: Will Stem Cell Research Encourage an Increase in ...
could generate enough stem cells in culture to
preclude constant demand for more and more tissue. In sum, stem cell research
as presently understood should have a negligible impact on IVF or abortion
Ethics Advisory Board