1. Physics Topic: Special Relativity
Special relativity is one of the two cornerstones of twentieth
century physics (the other is quantum mechanics ). It makes a fundamental
break with Newtonian mechanics, drastically changing our conceptions
2. Physics Topic: Special Relativity, Time, and Eternity
Special Relativity , Time, and Eternity
The most prominent issue that theologians have addressed regarding
special relativity is that of God's relation to time, or what
is usually called the question of time and eternity . Is God
3. General Term: Special Relativity
(See General Relativity .)
for Special Relativity
Full Glossary Index
4. Physics Topic: General Relativity
In 1915, Einstein published the general theory of relativity.
This is a theory of gravity which is consistent with special relativity .
In it, matter and spacetime are interrelated physical phenomena.
5. Divine Action Topic: Russell, Robert John. Special Providence and Gene...
and think of Gods special providence in nature? And can we do so without
viewing Gods action as an intervention into these processes and a violation of
the laws of nature?
To many theologians, the connection between special
6. Divine Action Topic: Ellis, George F. R. and William R. Stoeger. Intro...
to General Relativity and Cosmology ."
George Ellis and Bill
Stoeger present the standard model of our universe, the Friedmann-
Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker (FLRW) or Big Bang model, including its foundations
7. General Term: General Relativity
General Relativity An extension of Einstein s theory of special relativity to include gravity
and other non-inertial (accelerating) frames of reference.
8. Divine Action Topic: Isham, C.J. and J.C. Polkinghorne. The Debate ove...
time in special relativity result in a heightened tendency to ontologize
spacetime. The additional arbitrariness
in the choice of time coordinates in general relativity makes flowing time
physically meaningless. Thus
9. Physics Topic: Gods Providence and Quantum Mechanics
can construct a new view of special providence
which holds both that God acts in the world objectively, and yet
that such action is not by intervening in or suspending the laws
of nature. I call this idea "non-interventionist
10. Divine Action Topic: Redhead, Michael. The Tangled Story of Nonlocalit...
with relativity since it does not allow superluminal signaling - although it does
allow superluminal causal processes. But since Redhead believes that relativity
entails PIP, and since PIP _ FSP, Redhead claims that