11. Divine Action Topic: Haught, John F. Darwins Gift to Theology."
for Gods action. Richard Dawkins argues that impersonal physical
necessity drives genes to maximize opportunities for survival. Both conclude
that Darwin has given atheism a solid foundation. Hence contemporary theology
must include an
12. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Can Darwinism Rule Out Truth in Religion?
justified. See Richard Dawkins and E.O.Wilson against the possibility
of the truth of religion .
A central ingredient of
Darwinian evolution is chance . Again, this has tempted some thinkers to
see the process as incompatible
13. Intelligent Design Topic: Can Specified Complexity Even Have a Mechanism?
from inorganic systems. Richard Dawkins also employs the notion in The Blind Watchmaker though he doesn't use the actual term (he refers to complex systems that are independently specified). In his most recent book, The Fifth Miracle Paul
14. Interview: Francis Collins
QUESTION: Richard Dawkins has raised the question that if God created the universe, then how come he seems to have
disappeared from the universe?
DR. COLLINS: I'm sorry that God has disappeared for Richard Dawkins. He's not
15. Genetics Topic: DNA and Social Behavior?
popularity of Richard Dawkins book, The Selfish Gene ,
along with the controversy created by sociobiologists , demonstrates
a growing interest in the prospect that scientists will be able
to explain more and more of human
16. General Term: Sociobiology
behavioural genetics. Richard Dawkins , for example, has focused on the genetic
constraints of social behavior, emphasizing that differences in the alleles
of even a single gene might result in strikingly different social
17. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: The Science of Sociobiology Critiques th...
(For background see Richard
Dawkins and E.O.Wilson against the possibility of the truth of religion .)
Dawkins regards religion as one of many viruses of the
mind, something which has pervaded human affairs, but, having no
18. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Key Figures and Developments in the Scie...
The second is the biologist Richard Dawkins , whose vigorous dismissals of the claims of religion (see can reductionism
rule out the truth of religion? ) have had a most stimulating effect on
believers interested in dialogue with science. Had
19. Intelligent Design Topic: The Question of Motives
hearing. The subtitle of Richard Dawkins 's The Blind Watchmaker reads Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design Dawkins may be right that design is absent from the universe. But design theorists insist that science
20. Resources: Bibliography for Peters on Genetics
903-908, p. 904.
Richard Dawkins , The Selfish Gene (New York: Oxford,
1976, rev. 1989).
Rifkin , Algeny , (New York: Viking, 1983), 17,
Sinsheimer, "Genetic Engineering: Life as a