51. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Is the Big Bang a Moment of Creation?
albeit a negative one, of theory selection
in science being influenced by theological stance!
The steady-state theory argued that, in spite of appearances, the universe
was infinitely old and did not evolve over time. Although defended by
52. Biography: Andre Linde
scenario, and in 1986 - the
theory of a self-reproducing inflationary universe. His work continues to focus
on inflation and quantum cosmology and various implications of inflationary
cosmology for elementary particle theory and for the theory of
53. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Book Section: Full Book Table of Contents
a wave? - 3.11 The
Quantum Revolution - 3.12 Shaking
the foundations - 3.13 Schrödingers
Cat and the meaning of quantum theory - 3.14 Quantum consciousness
Section D: Modern
cosmology and universal history
54. Interview: Bob Russell
you don't know evolutionary theory. And you can't really talk about the environment and the way it's interlaced with
poverty if you don't understand both economic theory, and simple environmental issues. So those are laced for theologians and
55. Divine Action Topic: Polkinghorne, John. The Laws of Nature and the La...
living processes. Quantum physics
provides similar insights to chaos theory , but Polkinghorne is cautious about
relying on it. We ought not confuse
randomness with freedom, and we need to remember both that the interpretation
56. Divine Action Topic: Barbour, Ian G. Five Models of God and Evolution....
in the interpretation of quantum theory , indeterminacy is a feature of the
microscopic world and its effects can be amplified by non-linear biological
systems. He also argues for top-down
causality in which higher-level events impose
57. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: The Many-Worlds Interpretation
Cat and the meaning of quantum theory). With each decision at the
quantum level the universe splits into a number of isolated domains, each
corresponding to a different outcome. In one universe the cat dies, in another
58. Divine Action Topic: Alston, W. Divine Action, Human Freedom, and the ...
culture, Alston takes quantum mechanics to provide
a definitive refutation of it. Hence
because of quantum indeterminism, God can act without violating physical
law. Moreover, acts such as these which
begin on the sub-atomic
59. Divine Action Topic: Murphy, Nancey. Divine Action in the Natural Orde...
the arena of quantum physics . In her paper, Murphy argues that the problem of
divine action will be solved by nothing less than a revised metaphysical theory
of the nature of matter and of natural causes. Her proposal is that we
60. General Term: Contemporary Cosmology
the tools of astronomy and quantum theory .
by: Dr. Christopher Southgate
for Contemporary Cosmology