41. Faith and Reason Topic: Ron Numbers on the Religious Reponse to Darwin's Theory
Reponse to Darwin 's Theory
Jocelyn Bell Burnell
42. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Wave-Particle Duality
experiment in terms
of quantum theory in Paul Davies God and
the New Physics , p108-111.
The Quantum Revolution
43. General Term: Bohr, Niels (1885-1962)
the founder of atomic quantum theory and the Copenhagen interpretation of
theory denied the possibility of a unified, observer-independent field. His
own interpretation, the heart of his Copenhagen philosophy,
44. Physics Topic: Physics and Cosmology in the 20th Century
Bang cosmology. Meanwhile
quantum mechanics, when united with special relativity (1930),
produced relativistic quantum mechanics / quantum field theory ,
and eventually to particle physics , in which electromagnetism
and the weak nuclear force
45. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Does God Collapse the Wave Function?
this would be the quantum-mechanical version of Bishop Berkeleys idealism .
This is memorably summarised in a couple of limericks:
There was once a man who
Must think it exceedingly odd
46. Maddox Bibliography Topic: C. Particle Physics
Cushing, James T. Quantum Mechanics : Historical
Contingency and the Copenhagen Hegemony . Chicago: University of Chicago,
Ford, Kenneth William. The Quantum World : Quantum
Physics for Everyone . Cambridge, MA:
47. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Criticisms of Quantum-Based Proposals on...
reject quantum indeterminacy as a candidate for the causal joint. The link
between the probabilistic world of quantum mechanics and the macroscopic world
is still poorly understood (see Schrödingers Cat and the
48. Maddox Bibliography Topic: B. Introductions to the Philosophy of Science
Theory, Method and Evidence . Boulder, CO: Westview, 1996.
Norris, Christopher. Quantum Theory and the Flight
from Realism: Philosophical Responses to Quantum Mechanics . New York:
49. Physics Topic: Big Bang Cosmology and Creation Theology
and limitations of Big Bang theory. Many of these
are changing as we learn more about the physical evolution of
the universe and as we move beyond the theory of general relativity
into quantum gravity. So, given that all scientific theories
50. Divine Action Topic: Wildman, Wesley J. and Robert John Russell. Chaos...
testing of chaos theory due to the peculiar nature of chaotic randomness. In this sense, chaos theory places a
fundamental and unexpected new limit on how well the hypothesis of metaphysical
determinism can be supported.
On the basis