11. Divine Action Topic: Clarke, Chris. The Histories Interpretation of Qu...
Histories Interpretation of Quantum Theory and the Problem of Human/Divine Action."
The overall aim of Chris
Clarkes essay is to show how a modification of the consistent- histories
interpretation of quantum mechanics provides a
12. Divine Action Topic: Crutchfield, James P., J. Doyne Farmer, Norman H. Packa...
determinism posed by quantum mechanics for subatomic
phenomena like radioactive decay, but stresses that large-scale chaotic
behavior, which focuses instead on macroscopic phenomena like the trajectory of
a baseball or the flow of water,
13. Divine Action Topic: Polkinghorne, John. Physical Process, Quantum Eve...
individual quantum processes, including consistent-histories approaches. He
then outlines various groups of proposals for interpreting quantum theory which
seem more promising.
The first group starts with
quantum theory as it
14. General Term: Quantum Field Theory
Quantum Field Theory A theory developed by Paul Dirac in 1927 that explains the apparent paradox
of wave/particle duality, by identifying a wave with the superposition of an
indefinite number of particles. For example, if a wave
15. Physics Topic: Special Relativity
physics (the other is quantum mechanics ). It makes a fundamental
break with Newtonian mechanics, drastically changing our conceptions
of the physics of space, time and their relation. It was published
in 1905 by Einstein as a complete
16. Divine Action Topic: Peacocke, Arthur. Gods Interaction with the...
stemming from quantum theory .
Chaotic and dissipative
systems prove to be unpredictable in practice, primarily because of the nature
of our knowledge of the real numbers, and possibly (and more problematically)
because of quantum
17. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: The Rediscovery of the Observer
be understood in terms of quantum
In these topics we shall see how problems interpreting
black-body radiation led to the ultraviolet catastrophe and the first
proposal in quantum theory, how Einstein helped the
18. Divine Action Topic: Cushing, James T. Determinism Versus Indeterminis...
the no-signaling theory of quantum mechanics prohibits sending messages
faster than light.
In Bohms theory, the
quantum potential U conveys the
influence of the environment on the particle, while U is determined, in turn,
19. Divine Action Topic: Berry, Michael. Chaos and the Semiclassical Limit...
generalize to a deeper theory, the singularities of the old theory are
dissolved and replaced by new ones.
Book Series Index
Next: Butterfield, Jeremy. Some Worlds of Quantum Theory."
20. Divine Action Topic: Shimony, Abner. The Reality of the Quantum World....
The Reality of the Quantum World ."
In this paper, Abner Shimony
describes two essential concepts in quantum mechanics . The first is the quantum
state or wavefunction, which specifies all the quantities of a physical