11. Divine Action Topic: Butterfield, Jeremy. Some Worlds of Quantum Theor...
problematic character of
quantum indeterminism: it only appears in some interpretations of quantum
theory and it involves a highly nonclassical ontology . He acknowledges the
enormous empirical success of quantum theory but notes that
12. Divine Action Topic: Russell, Robert John. Divine Action and Quantum M...
Divine Action and Quantum Mechanics : A Fresh Assessment."
Robert John Russell develops
and extends the thesis that, if one interprets quantum mechanics
philosophically as pointing to ontological indeterminism, then one
13. Divine Action Topic: Clarke, Chris. The Histories Interpretation of Qu...
Histories Interpretation of Quantum Theory and the Problem of Human/Divine Action."
The overall aim of Chris
Clarkes essay is to show how a modification of the consistent- histories
interpretation of quantum mechanics provides a
14. Divine Action Topic: Cushing, James T. Determinism Versus Indeterminis...
an indeterministic view of quantum mechanics for theological
reasons, but one should not claim that quantum mechanics provides independent,
scientifically arguable grounds for such a choice.
Book Series Index
Next: Ellis, George
15. Divine Action Topic: Heller, Michael. Generalizations: From Quantum Me...
that are relevant to quantum mechanics
are noncommutative algebras, and it is this noncommutativity which is
responsible, according to Heller, for all the peculiarities of quantum theory.
Algebraic formulation also leads to the possibility
16. Divine Action Topic: Clayton, Philip. Tracing the Lines: Constraint an...
Freedom In the Movement from Quantum Physics to Theology."
Philip Clayton gives two
reasons why constructive theology should engage in dialogue with quantum
physics: it cannot afford the fideistic position that results from
17. Divine Action Topic: Stoeger, William R. Epistemological and Ontologic...
Issues Arising from Quantum Theory ."
As a prelude to the problem
of divine action and quantum physics, William R. Stoeger explores the
epistemological and ontological implications of quantum physics. Clearly a
discussion of divine
18. Divine Action Topic: Redhead, Michael. The Tangled Story of Nonlocalit...
harmony of quantum correlations remains spooky even if it
does not involve causal dependence. For the anti-realist, the role of
measurement is to actualize potentialities. But when quantum mechanics is
19. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: The Quantum Revolution
implications of quantum theory for a summary of the ways the quantum view of
the world departs from classical physics.
different interpretations of how quantum theory relates to reality see
Schrödingers Cat and
20. Divine Action Topic: Drees, Willem B. A Case Against Temporal Critical...
than an external, parameter.
Quantum cosmology, and its underlying theory, quantum gravity, further
challenge the dynamic view of nature.
Although they overcome the problem of the singularity at t=0, quantum
cosmology and quantum gravity offer an