1. General Term: Metaphysical
and skepticism concerning
metaphysical claims, which are considered unverifiable by modern science.
In matters of religion, the problem of validating metaphysical claims is most
readily seen in all of the "proofs" for the existence
2. Divine Action Topic: Ellis, George F. R. The Thinking Underlying the N...
namely evil, as well as the metaphysical
ambiguity of nature, since kenosis requires free will , and free will requires
genuine metaphysical ambiguity and makes evil deeds a possibility. Moreover,
evolution is also entailed; special creation would
3. Divine Action Topic: Wildman, Wesley J. Evaluating the Teleological Ar...
traces the links between metaphysical
contextualizations of teleology and theories of divine action, stressing the
metaphysical ambiguity which complicates these links. If the locus of the
teleological principle is natural law, divine action
4. Divine Action Topic: Wildman, Wesley J. and Robert John Russell. Chaos...
equations requires metaphysical determinism in nature, because of
complexities in the experimental testing of the mathematical models used in
chaos theory. In particular, it may be very difficult to distinguish
5. Divine Action Topic: Murphy, Nancey. Divine Action in the Natural Orde...
Then she surveys
changes in metaphysical views of matter and causation from ancient to modern
philosophy. The historical survey is intended to put in question current
metaphysical assumptions about the nature of matter and of natural causes, as
6. Genetics Topic: Is DNA the Essence of Life?
support the metaphysical or moral uniqueness of DNA. Even DNAs
capacity to replicate does not elevate this molecule to a higher
metaphysical or moral level. Replication and sexual reproduction
are important capacities,
7. Divine Action Topic: Polkinghorne, John. The Metaphysics of Divine Act...
the adoption of a metaphysical view of the nature of reality. He claims that
there is no deductive way of going from epistemology to ontology , but the
strategy of critical realism is to maximize the connection.
8. Divine Action Topic: Polkinghorne, John. Physical Process, Quantum Eve...
criteria, including metaphysical principles. Theologians
who believe that divine action requires indeterministic physical processes have
every right to prefer Bohrs conventional approach, as long as they do not
claim that science
9. Evolution Topic: Is Evolution Wedded to Atheism?
says about evolutions
metaphysical implications carry any weight at all? Physicist-priest John Polkinghorne , one of
the most esteemed scholars of science and religion featured in the movie,
rightly reminds us that metaphysical claims
10. Physics Topic: The Theology of Providence
with epistemological and metaphysical
reductionism to portray all of nature as an impersonal mechanism.
David Hume challenged the arguments for God as first cause and
as designer. In response, Immanuel Kant constructed a new