11. Biography: David Myers
individualism and materialism and affirmed the
significance of positive traits, committed relationships, and religious
American Paradox: Spiritual Hunger in an Age of Plenty (Yale
12. Science and Religion Topic: Stephen Meyer: The New Cosmology
From eternity were the particles...
and the particles became complex living stuff.
13. Divine Action Topic: Clayton, Philip, Neuroscience, the Person, and Go...
the other hand, eliminative
materialism - the view that folk psychological entities such as beliefs and
desires do not exist - resolves the debate with theology by removing theology
altogether from the realm of possible theories. For
14. Divine Action Topic: Coyne, George V., S.J. Evolution and the Human Pe...
world-views. Some of these - materialism ,
reductionism, and spiritualism - are rejected outright. Instead a genuine
dialogue begins as the papal message struggles with two views which may or may
not be compatible: evolution according
15. Divine Action Topic: Murphy, Nancey. Supervenience and the Nonreducibi...
idealism , and reductive materialism . Murphy then cites scientific
evidence for nonreducibility: interactions with the environment portray an
entity as part of a larger system and entail both top-down and whole-part
analyses which complement
16. Stem Cell Topic: Analysis of Responses to Questions 6-10
evolves, science and materialism regularly trump the unfounded, undemonstrated,
and untested beliefs of religion, wrote one who self-identified as Non-Religious.
Another wrote, I believe that we will evolve into an atheistic
17. General Term: Materiality
that this is not the same as materialism ,
that is the commodification
and idolatry of the material. This is a recognition,
located in recent social thought, that we know, experience and encounter the
world and others through our material existence
18. General Term: Reductive Physicalism
with the word
"materialism ." Both terms hold that the real world consists only of
matter and energy, and that all organic and inorganic processes can be explained
by reference to the laws of nature. Physics, the main branch of
19. Intelligent Design Topic: How Can an Unembodied Intelligence Interact with t...
not matter or energy. No materialism which does not admit this can survive at the present day."
How much energy is required to impart information? We have sensors that can detect quantum events and amplify them to the macroscopic level.