11. General Term: Newton, Isaac (1642-1727)
of Copernicus , Kepler , Galileo
and Descartes to finalise a new view of the universe, heliocentric , constructed
out of mathematically treatable particles, governed by the laws of mathematical
physics, working in the fashion of clockwork.
12. General Term: Heliocentric
Not until Kepler and Galileo is it taken as a serious challenge, in
cosmological terms, to the Ptolemaic system. It is seen to be useful by
astronomers for simpler methods of predicting the motions of the heavens.
13. Interview: George Coyne
Newton, Descartes , and Galileo were all very religious
people. So doing science is not inherently incompatible with religious faith.
However the great successes of science - Galileo's telescopic observations, Newton's law of gravity, etc -
14. Divine Action Topic: Pope John Paul II. Message to the Vatican Observa...
when speaking in regard to Galileo , he had emphasized that exegetes
and theologians must understand science as they seek a correct interpretation
Today the theory of evolution is no longer a mere hypothesis. It is
15. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Book Section: Full Book Table of Contents
1.12 Copernicanism and the Galileo Affair - 1.13
The Love Affair Gone Wrong:
the eighteenth century - 1.14 Early
Conflicts over Darwinism - 1.15 A contemporary
instance of consonance and conflict (Big Bang cosmology )
16. Subject Home: History
The Galileo Affair
The Scopes Monkey
Greek Philosophy and the Rise of
17. Intro Topic: The Birth of Modern Cosmology
link | Feedback
| Contributed by: Margaret Wertheim
18. Maddox Bibliography Topic: A. General and Survey Treatments
Atkins, Peter. Galileo s Finger: The Ten Great Ideas
of Science . New York: Oxford University Press, 2003.
Barrow , John D. Impossibility: The Limits of Science
and the Science of Limits . New York: Oxford University
19. Maddox Bibliography Topic: B. Introductions to Current Science/Theology Enga...
Dowe, Phil. Galileo , Darwin , and Hawking : The
Interplay of Science, Reason, and Religion . Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans,
Haught , John F. Science and Religion: From Conflict
to Conversation . Mahwah, NJ:
20. General Term: Copernicus, Nicolaus (1473-1543)
way for Johannes
Kepler , Galileo and Isaac Newton .
by: Richard P Whaite
for Copernicus, Nicolaus (1473-1543)