31. General Term: Ectoderm
three primary layers of an embryo ;
produces the nervous system, the epidermis and epidermal derivatives, and the
lining of various body cavities such as the mouth.
32. Subject Home: Genetics
are the Moral Limits of Embryo and Stem Cell Research?
Ethics and Theology
and Ethics... (Ted Peters , 17
33. Genetics Topic: Are We Asking Our Scientists to Play God?
cells of an early
embryo that will be passed on to future generations and may become
part of the permanent gene pool. Some scientists and religious
spokespersons are putting a chain across the gate to germline
enhancement and with a
34. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Ethical Concerns Raised by Genetic Reduc...
altering the genes of an embryo and implanting it into a mother (currently a
prohibited practice in the UK and US) - thus altering forever the genetic
inheritance of that person. As Ian Barbour points out, Some of the
35. Genetics Topic: Application of Cloning to the Production of Biopharmaceutica...
Embryo cleavage (%)
Embryos transferred (%)
36. Genetics Topic: Democratizing Decision Making Relating to Biotechnology
creation of multiple 8-cell embryos, some of which will be
discarded. This seems to have been the source of much moral disagreement on
Genetic Discrimination : There was 65% rejection among respondents
of the notion that
37. Genetics Topic: The Bioethics of Interdependence: Shin Buddhist Attitudes on...
nuclear transplantation from embryos.
164 cloned calves from embryo are still alive.
(These are the figures for March 31 1999)
One hundred eighty cloned calves have been made by nuclear transplantation from embryos in a year on
38. Genetics Topic: Islamic Perspectives on Cloning and Genetic Enginerring
Development of an embryo without any spiritual or moral connection between a man and a woman
A mother can only claim motherhood if she carried the child in her womb
Potential for abuse
Dominance of a race
39. Maddox Bibliography Topic: 3. Ethical Issues in Genetic Engineering
Zoloth , eds.
The Human Embryonic Stem Cell Debate: Science, Ethics, and Public Policy .
Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2001.
Hui, Edwin C. At the Beginning of Life: Dilemmas in
Theological Bioethics . Downers Grove, IL:
40. Science and Suffering Topic: 21st Century Research Genetics - John Medina
of genes in a
developing embryo . This idea of turning genes on and off and seeing in some
cases profound effects of activation on cellular careers, says Dr. John Medina
in his presentation Womb with a View: The Research