1. Divine Action Topic: Crutchfield, James P., J. Doyne Farmer, Norman H. Packa...
class of phenomena called dynamical systems. Such systems can be
described in terms of their state, including all relevant information about
them at a particular time, and an equation, or dynamic, that governs the
evolution of the state in time.
2. Divine Action Topic: Peacocke, Arthur. Gods Interaction with the...
to relatively simple, dynamic,
law-obeying systems; to statistical properties of assemblies; to Newtonian
systems which are deterministic yet unpredictable; and to chaotic and
dissipative systems. In doing so he also
3. General Term: Dynamic Theory
Dynamic Theory A theory that deals with forces and their relation to the motion of objects.
for Dynamic Theory
Full Glossary Index
4. General Term: Kinematic Theory
Kinematic Theory A branch of dynamic theory that deals with aspects of motion apart from mass
for Kinematic Theory
5. Divine Action Topic: Arbib, Michael A. Crusoes Brain: Of Solitud...
in terms of schema
theory: a word or phrase is an impoverished representation of some schema assemblage.
Thus, extraction of meaning is a virtually endless dynamic process.
In the second part of Arbibs essay he applies social
6. Divine Action Topic: Clifford, Anne M. Darwins Revolution in the...
positions that Darwins
theory of natural selection would reject.
Data gathered from his
voyage on the Beagle triggered Darwins conversion from natural theology to
his theory of natural selection as an account of the
7. Divine Action Topic: Arbib, Michael A. Towards a Neuroscience of the P...
neuron and person. Schema theory provides a link between
cognition-level and neuron-level descriptions of the person. Basic schema
theory operates at the level of cognitive science, and explains mental operations
8. Divine Action Topic: Drees, Willem B. A Case Against Temporal Critical...
relativity ) undercut this dynamic perspective,
challenging universal simultaneity and re-interpreting time as an internal,
rather than an external, parameter.
Quantum cosmology, and its underlying theory, quantum gravity, further
9. Divine Action Topic: Polkinghorne, John. The Laws of Nature and the La...
of beginning. Here the dynamic theory of chaos provides a vital
clue. Chaotic systems, though governed
by deterministic equations, are highly sensitive to environmental circumstances
and initial conditions. They represent
a form of
10. Divine Action Topic: Barbour, Ian. Neuroscience, Artificial Intelligen...
concepts of information, dynamic systems, hierarchical levels,
and emergence are valuable for
integrating insights from neuroscience and AI research with that of theology in
a theory of human nature.
Barbour argues that process philosophy