11. Divine Action Topic: Polkinghorne, John. The Metaphysics of Divine Act...
, but the
strategy of critical realism is to maximize the connection. This leads most
physicists, he claims, to interpret Heisenberg s uncertainty principle as
implying an actual indeterminacy in the physical world, rather than
12. Divine Action Topic: Polkinghorne, John. The Laws of Nature and the La...
defends a version of critical realism in which the process of
discovering the laws of nature is interpreted verisimilitudinously as the
tightening grasp on reality. Yet these
laws ought not be reduced to those of fundamental
13. Divine Action Topic: Chaos Theory
Book Series Index
Next: Critical Realism
link | Printer-friendly | Feedback | Contributed by: CTNS /Vatican Observatory
14. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: A Critique of Willem B Drees Typology
of subject further see critical realism in science
and religion .
Critical Realism in Science and Religion
15. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Consonances Between Science and Religion
as a weak form of critical realism (see critical realism in science and religion ). Addressing reality is the goal
of the rational explorations of sciences and religions, but thinkers confidence as to which elements of
16. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Religion as Evolutionary Phenomenon
the former view, a critical-realist
epistemology (see critical realism in science and
religion ) under the guise of his evolutionary descriptions.
Theissens difficulties with terminology
reflect the fact that the
17. Divine Action Topic: Davies, Paul C. W. The Intelligibility of Nature....
Davies is equally critical of a many- universe explanation, opting instead
for a form of design argument. This,
however, takes us to the limits of science.
The question of the nature of the laws themselves lies outside the
18. Divine Action Topic: Drees, Willem B. Gaps for God?
inconsistent with the very critical realism that Polkinghorne promotes.
However, denying any such
gaps within natural processes need not foreclose all options for a religious
view of reality. In fact Drees claims that science raises religious
19. Intelligent Design Topic: Situating Intelligent Design in the Contemporary D...
of Scottish common sense realism (notably the work of Thomas Reid ), and to the informed critiques of Darwinism that have consistently appeared ever since Darwin published his
Origin (e.g., Louis Agassiz, St. George Mivart, Richard
20. Maddox Bibliography Topic: 1. The Status of Theology as a Science
Paul. Ernan McMullin and Critical Realism in
the Science-Theology Dialogue . Burlington, VT: Ashgate, 2006.
Clayton , Philip. Explanation from Physics to
Theology : An Essay in Rationality and Religion . New Haven, CT: Yale