Displaying results 1 - 7 of 7 matches (0.01 seconds)
1. General Term: Conservation Laws
Conservation Laws Physical laws that stipulate the conservation over time of a specific
quantity, such as charge, energy, or momentum.
2. Divine Action Topic: Alston, W. Divine Action, Human Freedom, and the ...
Human Freedom, and the Laws of Nature.
In his paper Bill Alston
studies the philosophical aspects of the problem of divine action in relation
to both the laws of nature and the meaning of human freedom. To set the stage, he begins by
3. Information Science Topic: Divine Information
as fertile ground because conservation laws need not be
violated - a perennial problem for accounts of Divine action. It's common to
see the triplet of "matter, energy and information" listed as the
basic units of reality, and we
4. Information Science Topic: Divine Agency
with strict observance of
conservation laws. On the other hand, our observations at the quantum scale
lead us to the reasoned conclusion that the future is in some limited sense
open, or "not decided" (to quote Bohr). Here even
5. Physics Topic: Thermodynamics, Chaos, and Complexity
is characterized by two laws: first,
the conservation of energy and secondly, the non-decrease of entropy
in closed systems isolated from their environment. Examples include
gas in a balloon, liquid cooling in a container, wood burning
6. Divine Action Topic: Ellis, George F.R. Quantum Theory and the Macrosc...
status and phenomenological
laws of behavior are assigned to higher, as well as lower, levels. His ontology
includes: Worlds 1 (the physical
world), 2 (individual and communal consciousness), 3 (Aristotelian
possibilities), 4 (Platonic abstract
7. Intelligent Design Topic: How Can an Unembodied Intelligence Interact with t...
Take for instance the law of conservation of energy. Although the law is often stated in the form "energy can neither be created nor destroyed," in fact all we have empirical evidence for is the much weaker claim that "in an isolated system energy