1. General Term: Classical Mechanics
Classical Mechanics A branch of physics that deals with the effects of energy and forces on the
motion of physical objects, based on the work of Isaac Newton and on
three-dimensional Euclidean geometry, also called Newtonian
2. Divine Action Topic: Berry, Michael. Chaos and the Semiclassical Limit...
the presence of chaos in classical
mechanics and its absence in quantum mechanics. If classical mechanics is the
limit of quantum mechanics when Planck s constant h can be ignored, why does a system appear nonchaotic
3. Divine Action Topic: Cushing, James T. Determinism Versus Indeterminis...
the importance of quantum mechanics. His
central point is that considerations of empirical adequacy and logical
consistency alone do not force one to chose the indeterministic view of
quantum mechanics as found in the Copenhagen
4. Physics Topic: Gods Providence and Quantum Mechanics
if we recognize that the classical
world is not an irreducible given but a result of the quantum
world . Thus the laws which describe the classical world are approximations
to the laws of quantum mechanics which describe how the
5. Divine Action Topic: Russell, Robert John. Divine Action and Quantum M...
Action and Quantum Mechanics : A Fresh Assessment."
Robert John Russell develops
and extends the thesis that, if one interprets quantum mechanics
philosophically as pointing to ontological indeterminism, then one can
6. Physics Topic: Thermodynamics, Chaos, and Complexity
of time" contrary to classical
mechanics , for which all phenomena are reversible in time.
By the end of the nineteenth century, it had been shown that
classical thermodynamics could be reduced to classical mechanics
7. General Term: Quantum Theory
mechanics (i.e., quantum statistics) is not only strikingly different from
classical chance (as in the familiar bell curve), it actually gives
rise, in a bottom-up way, to the basic
8. Divine Action Topic: Clarke, Chris. The Histories Interpretation of Qu...
problem of quantum mechanics: if it is a generalization of, and not an
alternative to, classical mechanics , should we not use it to describe all of
physics in a unified way? Yet if we do so, the theory predicts that macroscopic
9. Divine Action Topic: Polkinghorne, John. Physical Process, Quantum Eve...
suggests that the standard classical
account of macroscopic processes may need to be reconsidered. Complex classical
systems point to the presence of a pattern-forming causality of an holistic
kind (active information).
10. Intelligent Design Topic: How Can an Unembodied Intelligence Interact with t...
Bohmian approach to quantum mechanics merely shifts what's problematic in the classical view to Bohm 's quantum potential). Richard Feynman was right when he remarked that no one understands quantum mechanics. The "mechanics" in "quantum