1. General Term: Holistic
Holistic A wide-reaching term, designating views in which the individual elements of a
system are determined by their relations to all other elements of that system.
Being highly relational, holistic theories do not see the sum of
2. Divine Action Topic: Green, Joel B. Restoring the Human Person: New Te...
New Testament Voices for a Wholistic and Social Anthropology ."
New Testament scholar Joel
B. Green was asked to write an essay reflecting current scholarship on biblical
views of human nature. In Restoring the Human Person: New
3. Divine Action Topic: Stoeger, Willam R., S.J. The Immanent Directional...
there must be overarching holistic laws of nature which constrain
the universe to behave in ways which clearly manifest purposes or ends. Many
other scientists and philosophers, however, report they have found no evidence
of an immanent
4. Evolution Topic: Step 3: What emerges well done is the new creation
We are holists. According to holistic or emergentist
thinking, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Evolutionary history
has witnessed the emergence of living creatures, which as organisms constitute
wholes that reorganize and give new
5. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Peacocke and Polkinghorne: Comparison of...
requiring to be treated in holistic terms and of their being open to
top-down causality through the input of active information. It is not proposed
that this is the localized mechanism by which agency is exercised. I do not
suppose that either
6. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: The Hidden-Variable Theory of David Bohm
theory . It points to a more
holistic view of the quantum world . Indeed Bohm himself stressed the holistic
aspect of quantum theory in his later years, after his conversion from Marxism
See also the many-worlds interpretation
7. General Term: Chaos Theory
referred to as holistic chaos.
The current deterministic laws would then be seen as simple approximations to
holistic chaos through what Polkinghorne calls downward emergence.
Finally, the new theories of holistic
8. Divine Action Topic: Peters, Ted. The Trinity In and Beyond Time."
, who draws on holistic principles to interpret eschatology . Such principles have important scientific as
well as theological warrant. Proleptic
eschatology adds to the whole/part dialectic of science the claim that the
9. Divine Action Topic: Polkinghorne, John. The Laws of Nature and the La...
and holistic laws must be combined in some way.
Polkinghornes proposal is
that, to our usual notions of upward emergence (which address the qualitative
novelty of mind and life), we must add downward
10. Divine Action Topic: Polkinghorne, John. Physical Process, Quantum Eve...
causality of an holistic
kind (active information). Perhaps the equations of classical physics are
downward emergent approximations of a more complex account of macroscopic
physics as well as upward