1. General Term: Electron
Electron The negatively charged fundamental particle that along with protons and
neutrons comprise the atom.
by: Dr. James Miller
2. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle
the more the momentum of the electron is altered. Thus
any attempt to determine the location accurately will change the velocity of
the electron. Conversely, techniques for accurately measuring the velocity of
the electron will leave us in
3. Biography: Kenneth Miller
can be prepared for the
electron microscope which capture the fine details of membrane structure. These
can be correlated with the polypeptide and lipid composition of the membrane.
His research has also begun to investigate
4. Science and Religion Topic: Father Robert Spitzer: The Anthropic Principle -...
Rest mass of an electron
= 9.11 x 10 -31
Rest mass of a proton
= 1.672 x 10 -27
5. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Wave-Particle Duality
that, if you
take a beam of electrons and pass it through a pair of slits (a classical wave
experiment), you get diffraction and interference - properties characteristic
of a wave rather than a particle. If you reduce the intensity of the
6. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: The Schrödinger Wave Equation
probability of finding an electron in one location rather than another.
The final outcome may be determinate (an electron in a particular location),
but the probability distribution of the possible outcomes has the mathematical
form of a wave.
7. Divine Action Topic: Russell, Robert John. Divine Action and Quantum M...
capture of an electron by an interstellar dust particle), and irreversible
micro-micro (e.g., proton-proton scattering in the presence of heavy nuclei)
interactions, though it does not include reversible micro-micro
8. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: The Hidden-Variable Theory of David Bohm
quantum particle, e.g. an electron , and a hidden guiding wave that
governs its motion. Thus, in this theory electrons are quite clearly particles.
When you perform a two-slit experiment (see wave-particle duality ), they go
9. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Alternatives to a Realist Position
It is hard to credit that an electron is an instrumental
fiction, even though no-one has ever seen one directly, since so many phenomena
have been observed in accordance with the behaviour and properties of
To follow this debate in
10. Intelligent Design Topic: How Can an Unembodied Intelligence Interact with t...
a single particle like an electron can go through two slits simultaneously to produce a diffraction pattern on a screen (cf. the famous double-slit experiment). On a classical Newtonian view of physics, only a mechanical account in terms of