41. Divine Action Topic: Alston, W. Divine Action, Human Freedom, and the ...
He defines determinism as the doctrine that every happening is
uniquely determined to be just what it is by natural causes within the
universe. Although determinism has a
strong hold on contemporary culture,
42. Divine Action Topic: Chaos and Complexity
based on metaphysical
determinism and indeterminism? In what ways do they shed light on the problem
of general and special providence, and in particular on a non-interventionist
understanding of objectively special divine action? Are there
43. Divine Action Topic: Crutchfield, James P., J. Doyne Farmer, Norman H. Packa...
challenge to Laplacian determinism posed by quantum mechanics for subatomic
phenomena like radioactive decay, but stresses that large-scale chaotic
behavior, which focuses instead on macroscopic phenomena like the trajectory of
a baseball or
44. Divine Action Topic: Ellis, George F.R. Quantum Theory and the Macrosc...
outcome, even when there is determinism and mechanism at
the microlevel, is partially effected by the context of boundary conditions, macroconstraints,
and macroinfluences. Here systems thinking, based on synthesis, is needed as
45. Divine Action Topic: Stoeger, William R.. Describing Gods Action...
does not necessarily imply determinism .
Stoeger concludes this
section by saying that there are aspects of divine action which we are able to
understand better by letting science and theology critically interact. There
are other aspects
46. Divine Action Topic: Stoeger, William R. Contemporary Physics and the ...
reductionism and determinism are untenable. The laws of nature are in fact human
constructions guided by careful research.
The intermediate-level regularities which they model originate in the
relationships of fundamental
47. Divine Action Topic: Tracy, Thomas F. Evolution, Divine Action, and th...
this universal determinism. From science it appears that indeterministic chance
is built into the structures of nature, and that chance events at the quantum
level can both constitute the stable properties of macroscopic entities
48. Ecology Topic: Charles Birch and John B. Cobb, Jr.'s The Liberation of Life:...
scientific and philosophic determinism
inherent in this view excludes any concern for non-human forms of life from the
scope of ethical consideration. Unlike
the modicum of freedom that humans seem to possess, this model sees animals and
49. Event: Creativity, Spirituality, and Computing Technologies (SSQ San Jose 2000)
Free Will and
Donald Knuth on using the Game of Life as a Universe Simulation
50. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: An Introduction to Divine Action: Isaac ...
had posited the complete determinism of a world governed
by Newtonian physics . And the
simplicity and elegance of Darwins
evolutionary scheme did
away with the notion that individual living creatures need be the direct