31. Information Science Topic: Divine Agency
- here we detect a robust determinism with strict observance of
conservation laws. On the other hand, our observations at the quantum scale
lead us to the reasoned conclusion that the future is in some limited sense
open, or "not
32. Biography: Steven Rose
Lifelines: Biology Beyond
Determinism . Oxford University Press: 1998.
Rose, Steven. Molecules and Mind:
Essays on Biology and the Social Order . John Wiley and Son, Ltd.:
for Steven Rose
33. Biography: Ted Peters
2003); Playing God? Genetic Determinism and Human Freedom (Routledge,
2nd ed., 2002); and GOD--The World's Future (Fortress, 2nd ed., 2000).
Books edited or co-authored
With Nathan Hallanger, God's Action in Nature's World: Essays in
34. Divine Action Topic: Russell, Robert John. Divine Action and Quantum M...
pointing to ontological indeterminism, then one can
construct a robust bottom-up, noninterventionist, approach to objective,
mediated, direct divine action. In this approach, Gods indirect acts at the
macroscopic level, understood as both
35. Divine Action Topic: Tracy, Thomas F. Particular Providence and the Go...
an unbroken causal determinism . More
promising are interpretations of quantum mechanics that acknowledge the role in
nature of indeterministic chance. With regard to the second question, Tracy
contends that such chance (whether at the
36. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Different Understandings of Chance
predictable (see determinism, indeterminism and their implications ) , then of
course this hammer-blow would also be predictable. This second meaning of chance would again be an expression of our
37. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: The Hidden-Variable Theory of David Bohm
with their underlying determinism , must be
non-local, maintaining the existence of instantaneous causal relations between
physically separated entities. Such a view contradicts the simple location of
events in both classical atomism and
38. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Shaking the Foundations: The Implication...
in three main ways.
Determinism has given way to an emphasis on probabilities . We simply do not have
access to enough information to make deterministic predictions. And this is
widely held to be a feature of the world rather than an
39. Science and Suffering Topic: Feminist & Process Theodicies - Nancy Howell
, in Playing God?: Genetic Determinism and
Human Freedom , elaborates on the term created co-creator. For Peters,
Howell says, created co-creator is to be the imago Dei and to
participate in the worlds future. God
Free Will and
Donald Knuth on using the Game of Life as a Universe Simulation