11. Physics Topic: Thermodynamics, Chaos, and Complexity
chaos, self-organization and complexity theory help to explain
how biological complexity arose in conformity with thermodynamics,
and they give tacit support to the hope of some scholars that
nature at the macroscipic
12. General Term: Classical Mechanics
even those now studied using chaos
theory . Chance events occur in all these fields, but the notion of chance here
is purely epistemic , the ignorance of underlying causes. There are two distinct
kinds of epistemic chance: i) Random
13. Divine Action Topic: Moltmann, Jurgen. Reflections on Chaos and God...
Jurgen. Reflections on Chaos and Gods Interaction with the World from a Trinitarian Perspective.
In his paper, Jürgen
Moltmann first describes five models of the God-world relation: (1) According
to the Thomistic model,
14. Divine Action Topic: Heller, Michael. Chaos, Probability, and the Comp...
Heller, Michael. Chaos, Probability, and the Comprehensibility of the World.
The eternal mystery of the
world is its comprehensibility. This is, of course, Albert Einstein s famous
claim, and it serves as the
15. Interview: 'Faith and Reason' Transcript
on evolutionary theory.
ANNOUNCER: Fresh knowledge leads to the recognition of the theory of evolution as more than just a hypothesis.
MS. WERTHEIM: In other words, new scientific evidence makes the theory of biological evolution
16. Divine Action Topic: Polkinghorne, John. Physical Process, Quantum Eve...
actions of agents. Chaos theory provides a
more flowing character for agency. Of course, chaos theory is normally framed
within a deterministic , Newtonian , context, but it could be given a wider
framework. The real problem
17. Physics Topic: Physics and Cosmology in the 20th Century
mechanics / quantum field theory ,
and eventually to particle physics , in which electromagnetism
and the weak nuclear force were unified (e.g., the electroweak
force ), and these unified with the strong nuclear force (fundamental
18. Divine Action Topic: Polkinghorne, John. The Laws of Nature and the La...
similar insights to chaos theory , but Polkinghorne is cautious about
relying on it. We ought not confuse
randomness with freedom, and we need to remember both that the interpretation
of quantum theory is still in dispute and that quantum
19. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Book Section: Full Book Table of Contents
physics - 3.25 Recognising chaos - 3.26 Coming
to terms with chaos - 3.27 Implications for the philosophy of
science - 3.28 Conclusion
4: Theology and Evolutionary Biology
Section A: The impact of Darwinism
20. Maddox Bibliography Topic: D. Chemistry
E. Chaos & Complexity Theory
Contributed by: Dr. Randy Maddox