21. Information Science Topic: Agency: Human, Robotic and Divine
within revised metaphysical systems. Process thinkers, for example,
speculate that matter possesses a mental-like property that is undetectable in
simple systems .
Followers of Bohm see consciousness as an aspect of the underlying
22. Biography: Sir John Templeton
and Religious Science. Those metaphysical
churches espouse a non-literal view of heaven and hell, and suggest a shared
divinity between God and humanity. "We realize that our own divinity arises
from something more than merely being 'God's
23. Divine Action Topic: Ellis, George F. R. The Theology of the Anthropic...
its laws that is basically metaphysical . Finally, Ellis turns to quantum
indeterminacy to provide a basis for divine inspiration. Other forms of intervention or action are
thus excluded, including amplification by chaotic systems; these would
24. Divine Action Topic: Peacocke, Arthur. Chance and Law in Irreversible ...
but it need not be seen as a
metaphysical principle opposed to order or undercutting the meaning of life.
Chance actually has two quite distinct meanings: it can refer simply to our
ignorance of the processes which underlie an event, or it can
25. General Term: Bergson, Henri (1859-1941)
as the key to metaphysical reality.
most famous works are Creative Evolution , Matter and Memory and Time
and Simultaneity . In 1928 he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature and
during the First World War he acted
26. General Term: Materialism
Materialism A metaphysical thesis that asserts that everything that exists is material or
a product of material processes.
by: Dr. Nancey Murphy
27. General Term: Physicalist
Physicalist - the metaphysical position that the universe is explicable in
terms of the components of matter and energy that it contains. It is a more
comprehensive term than materialism because it includes energy as well as
28. Intelligent Design Topic: Getting Acquainted With the ID Vocabulary
(it could also be called metaphysical
naturalism, but that name has additional connotations) to denote the family of
worldviews that reject the idea of supernatural
action by any deity. All actions (processes and events) in the universe
29. Intelligent Design Topic: Situating Intelligent Design in the Contemporary D...
role of naturalism as both a metaphysical and methodological principle in propping up the naturalistic theories, and especially neo-Darwinism.
Except for The Mystery of Life's Origin , which in some ways was a research monograph, the strength of
30. Genetics Topic: Modified Natural-Law Approach to Genetic Technologies
escape from intractable metaphysical disagreements of particular religious and
Deciding when we have strayed off course