11. Divine Action Topic: Murphy, Nancey. Supervenience and the Nonreducibi...
Immanuel Kant .
Still, the determinism of the laws of physics has raised problems for human
behavior. Materialists like Hobbes have simply accepted determinism, while
dualists such as Descartes have sought to avoid it, but in its place
12. Divine Action Topic: Tracy, Thomas F. Creation, Providence, and Quantu...
nonlocal hidden-variable determinism,
many-worlds determinism, and so on. While it is legitimate, even unavoidable,
to prefer one of these on theological grounds, we should stress that others are
available and their theological use in each case
13. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: God of the Gaps
universe of Laplace (see Determinism,
indeterminism and their implications ) , but in one in which it is not even
theoretically possible to predict in minute detail what will happen next.
In order to proceed with our investigation
14. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Book Section: Full Book Table of Contents
and explanation - 1.17 Determinism,
indeterminism and their implications - 1.18 Developing theology
in the light of science - 1.18.1 The interdependence of different
aspects of a model - 1.19 Three attributes of models of God,
15. Neuroscience Topic: Is Behavior Determined, or are we Free?
which seems to imply
determinism . Therefore, it is important in theological discussions
to distinguish between reductive and nonreductive versions of
physicalism. To see the difference, consider a recent finding
by V.S. Ramachandran at
16. Physics Topic: General Relativity
assumes causal determinism : the present state determines the
future state completely with no room for intrinsic chance (as
in quantum physics ). Thus it is philosophically classical regarding
determinism / mechanism, but relativistic
17. Question Home: Are we Free?
Indeterminism and Their Implications
Is Behavior Determined,
or are we Free?
Genes and Original
18. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle
to classical determinism . See Shaking the Foundations: the implications
of quantum theory .
The EPR Paradox
19. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Book Section: A Test Case - Divine Action
God of the Gaps
and their implications
Law, Chance and Divine
How to Think About Providential
A Classification of
20. General Term: Classical Mechanics
ontological indeterminism; indeed the ubiquitous role of the Gaussian
distribution (the bell curve) in classical science underscores this fact.
As Murphy depicts it, the combination of determinism in physics, epistemic