1. General Term: Determinism
is the notion of genetic determinism. Here, the concept of
determinism is linked directly to the genes in the DNA of a person. Because we
already know that aberrations in certain genes can lead to various forms of
physical and mental disease
2. God, Humanity and the Cosmos Topic: Determinism, Indeterminism and Their Imp...
Determinism , Indeterminism and Their Implications
Newtonian mechanics proved an enormously powerful way
of describing moving bodies. A century after Newton Pierre Simon de Laplace
(1749-1827) showed among other things how the solar
3. Resources: Playing God? Genetic Determinism and Human Freedom
Playing God? Genetic Determinism and Human Freedom
Ted Peters - Routledge, 1997 - Buy
Full Resource Index
To return to the previous topic,
click on your browser's
4. Science and the Spiritual Quest Interview: Donald Knuth on the Game of Life,...
Free Will and Determinism
Books on Information Technology
5. Divine Action Topic: Cushing, James T. Determinism Versus Indeterminis...
Cushing, James T. Determinism Versus Indeterminism in Quantum Mechanics : A Free Choice."
James T. Cushing sees the
question of determinism versus indeterminism as the fundamental issue regarding the
6. Interview: Ted Peters
who want to combat
genetic determinism, the blind alley is to say there's just two determinants: one is our genes, and the other is environment. Here
we don't have genetic determinism, we have a two-part determinism.
But I say there's a third
7. Genetics Topic: The Gene Myth
evolutionary future. Puppet determinism presumes that
we are victims of our genes, whereas Promethean determinism presumes
that we can take charge of our genes. Both belong to the gene
myth, and both point to a significant question: Will the
8. Divine Action Topic: Wildman, Wesley J. and Robert John Russell. Chaos...
to say that the mathematical determinism of
chaotic equations requires metaphysical determinism in nature, because of
complexities in the experimental testing of the mathematical models used in
chaos theory. In particular, it may be very
9. Divine Action Topic: Redhead, Michael. The Tangled Story of Nonlocalit...
for invoking either indeterminism or holistic nonseparability. The
author sees these as having important theological implications: indeterminism
is important for theories of divine action on particular occasions, while
holism is an anti-
10. Maddox Bibliography Topic: 9. Genetic Impact on Behavior and Human Responsib...
Ted . Playing God? Genetic Determinism and
Human Freedom . New York: Routledge, 1997.
Ridley, Matt. Nature via Nurture: Genes, Experience,
and What Makes Us Human . New York: HarperCollins, 2003.
Rose, Steven. Lifelines: Biology,